Generic Name and Formulations:
Somatropin (rDNA origin) 8.8mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; diluent contains benzyl alcohol.
EMD Serono, Inc.
Indications for ZORBTIVE:
Short bowel syndrome in conjunction with nutritional support (see full labeling).
Rotate inj site. Initially 0.1mg/kg SC inj once daily; max 8mg/day. Treat for 4 weeks. If fluid retention or arthralgia occurs; reduce dose by 50%. Discontinue therapy for up to 5 days if severe toxicities occur; if resolved, resume at 50% of original dose; if unresolved within 5 days or recurs, discontinue permanently.
Active malignancy. Acute critical illness due to complications following open heart or abdominal surgery, multiple accidental trauma, or acute respiratory failure. Active proliferative or severe non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy.
Monitor for potential malignant changes of preexisting nevi. Increased mortality in those with acute critical illness (see Contraindications). Impaired glucose tolerance/diabetes mellitus: monitor blood glucose. Hypoadrenalism: monitor serum cortisol levels. Evaluate thyroid function in those with hypopituitarism before starting and after 4 weeks treatment; correct thyroid function, if needed. Perform funduscopic evaluation for intracranial hypertension at initiation; discontinue if papilledema occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Growth hormone (GH).
May antagonize glucocorticoids. Concomitant antidiabetic treatment may need to be adjusted.
Edema (eg, facial, peripheral), arthralgia, inj site pain, flatulence, abdominal pain, vomiting, pain, nausea; hypersensitivity reactions, tissue turgor (swelling in hands/feet), musculoskeletal discomfort, carpal tunnel syndrome (reduce dose or discontinue if unresolved), acute pancreatitis.
Vials—1 (w. diluent)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Sleep Quality in Women With Surgical vs Natural Menopause
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- Hypothyroidism Treatment No Longer Available
- Obesity Subtype May Determine Outcomes After Bariatric Surgery
- Few Physicians Work in Practices That Use Telemedicine
- Skin Autofluorescence Predicts T2D, Heart Disease, Mortality
- ACC: Smoking Cessation Expert Decision Pathway Emphasizes Team-Based Support