ZOLADEX 3-MONTH 10.8mg Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Goserelin (as acetate) 10.8mg; SC implant.
Indications for ZOLADEX 3-MONTH 10.8mg:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate carcinoma. In combination with flutamide for management of locally confined Stage T2b-T4 (Stage B2-C) prostate carcinoma.
Implant SC into anterior abdominal wall. Prostate cancer: one 3.6mg implant every 28 days or one 10.8mg implant every 12 weeks. Stage B2-C prostatic carcinoma (in combination with flutamide): Treat 8 weeks prior to and during radiotherapy. Initially one 3.6mg implant, followed in 28 days by one 10.8mg implant; or may use one 3.6mg implant every 28 days (two before and two during radiotherapy).
Increased risk of diabetes, MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor blood glucose and for signs/symptoms of CVD during therapy. Risk of ureteral obstruction or spinal cord compression; monitor during 1st month of therapy. Risk factors for decreased bone mineral density (eg, chronic alcohol, tobacco, anticonvulsants, corticosteroids). Risk of QT prolongation in congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, electrolyte abnormalities; monitor EKG and correct electrolyte abnormalities if needed. Risk of inj site injury in patients with low BMI and/or receiving full dose anticoagulation. Obesity; monitor testosterone if no clinical response. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval. May affect tests of pituitary-gonadotropic and gonadal functions.
Decreased testosterone levels (eg, hot flashes, sexual dysfunction, decreased erections, gynecomastia), lower urinary tract symptoms, transient worsening of symptoms (eg, bone pain), tumor flare, diarrhea, nausea, edema, malaise, hyperglycemia, hypercalcemia, decreased bone mineral density, QT prolongation.
Implant (in syringe)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Sleep Quality in Women With Surgical vs Natural Menopause
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- Hypothyroidism Treatment No Longer Available
- Obesity Subtype May Determine Outcomes After Bariatric Surgery
- Few Physicians Work in Practices That Use Telemedicine
- Skin Autofluorescence Predicts T2D, Heart Disease, Mortality
- ACC: Smoking Cessation Expert Decision Pathway Emphasizes Team-Based Support