Generic Name and Formulations:
Dexrazoxane 250mg, 500mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Indications for ZINECARD:
To reduce the incidence and severity of cardiomyopathy associated with doxorubicin administration in women with metastatic breast cancer who have received a cumulative doxorubicin dose of 300mg/m2 and will continue to receive doxorubicin therapy to maintain tumor control.
Give by slow IV push or rapid drip IV infusion. Doxorubicin should be administered within 30 minutes after starting Zinecard infusion. Administer in 10:1 ratio (eg, 500mg/m2 Zinecard: 50mg/m2 doxorubicin). Renal impairment (CrCl <40mL/min): reduce ratio to 5:1 (eg, 250mg/m2 Zinecard: 50mg/m2 doxorubicin). Hepatic impairment: may need to reduce doxorubicin dose, therefore Zinecard dose must be reduced (maintaining 10:1 ratio).
Chemotherapy regimens that do not contain an anthracycline.
Not recommended for use with initiation of doxorubicin. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor cardiac function and for myelosuppression; obtain CBCs frequently. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Inj site pain, myelosuppression, possible secondary malignancies (see literature).
Single-use vial—1 (w. diluent)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk