Generic Name and Formulations:
Streptozocin 1g/vial; pwd for IV inj or infusion after reconstitution/dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for ZANOSAR:
Symptomatic or progressive metastatic pancreatic islet cell cancer.
1g/m2 IV once weekly for 2 weeks; may repeat weekly; max 1.5g/m2 per dose. Or, 500mg/m2 IV daily for 5 days every 6 weeks until max benefit or toxicity.
Renal dysfunction or disease. Monitor renal function (eg, urinalysis, BUN, creatinine, electrolytes) before, weekly during, and for 4 weeks after therapy; discontinue or reduce dose if significant renal toxicity occurs (see literature). Obtain CBCs, liver function tests weekly. Avoid extravasation. Ensure adequate hydration. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant nephrotoxic agents. Additive toxicity with other cytotoxic drugs. Severe bone marrow toxicity with doxorubicin. Phenytoin may reduce cytotoxicity.
GI upset (may be severe); hematological, hepatic and renal (cumulative and dose-related; may be fatal) toxicity; glucose intolerance, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, inj site reactions, CNS effects (eg, confusion, lethargy, depression).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Telemedicine Expands Access to Rural, Low-Income, Isolated Communities
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- MiniMed 670G System Improves Glycemic Outcomes in Children With T1D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Low Sperm Count Linked to Poor Metabolic, Cardiovascular, Bone Health
- Estrogen Improves Eating Behavior, Psychopathology in Oligo-Amenorrheic Athletes