Generic Name and Formulations:
Acyclovir 5% + hydrocortisone 1%; crm.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for XERESE:
Early treatment of recurrent herpes labialis (cold sores), to reduce likelihood of ulcerative cold sores and shorten lesion healing time in adults and adolescents (≥12yrs old).
Start as soon as possible after the first signs/symptoms emerge (ie, during the prodrome or when lesions appear). Wash and dry area. Apply topically to affected area on lips or around the mouth 5 times daily for 5 days. Avoid unnecessary rubbing of affected area to avoid aggravating or transferring infection. Do not occlude. Wash hands before and after application; wait at least 30 minutes before bathing, showering, or swimming.
Immunocompromised. Reevaluate if symptoms persist more than 2 weeks. Avoid eyes, inside the mouth or nose, or on the genitals. Pregnancy (Cat. B). Nursing mothers.
Antiviral + antiinflammatory.
Do not apply other products (makeup, sunscreen, lip balm, etc) to area during treatment.
Drying, flaking, burning/tingling sensation, erythema, pigmentation changes.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Executive Function Predicts T1D Management Into Emerging Adulthood
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- RET Inhibitor Gets Breakthrough Treatment Status for Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- Physical Activity as a Lifestyle Factor Influencing Early Menopause
- Situation Framing, Language Can Influence Decision-Making
- Gains in Insurance Coverage Seen for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Adults
- Oral Contraceptives Associated With Ventricular Repolarization Alterations