Extended-contact, text message interventions appears to be effective for adults in supporting weight management.
BMI and age at hospital admission are both predictive of potential negative outcomes in patients with anorexia nervosa.
Participants who lost between 5% and 10% or more than 10% of their body weight slowed knee joint degeneration, compared to those who maintained their current weight.
Gestational weight gain above current recommendations was a risk of infants with macrosomia or needing a cesarian delivery.
Despite existing guidelines, many eligible patients are not offered weight loss surgery as an option.
Calorie tracker apps are often superior to fitness apps when it comes to increasing weight loss.
Prioritization base on patient's risk levels would lead to further health gains.
Post-diet coaching sessions have been found to improve the maintenance of long-term weight loss in dieters.
In patients with obesity, levels of IL-32 were higher in visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue and peripheral mononuclear blood cells.
For patients with type 2 diabetes, maintaining body weight is associated with a reduction in medical care costs, while weight gain is associated with variable cost increases depending on the HbA1c level.
Metformin may be effective in decreasing weight gain associated with atypical antipsychotic use in autism spectrum disorder.
High intake of foods rich in flavonols may contribute to weight maintenance in adulthood.
A Working Group created by the Trans-National Institutes of Health (NIH) Committee on Genes, Behavior and Response to Weight Loss Interventions aimed to better understand how genes affect weight both biologically and behaviorally.
A diabetes prevention program-derived lifestyle intervention benefits women with gestational diabetes.
Relative risk for same level of weight gain greater in younger adults than in middle-aged adults.
Researchers also found less weight gain, increased physical activity and improved dietary quality with intervention.
The FDA approved a new balloon device to treat obesity without the need for invasive surgery.
Although odds of losing 5% of body weight were better, three-quarters of patients gained it back in 5 years.
There has been a 61% rise in obesity among the U.S. military's active duty forces since 2002.
Weight gain and BMI increased among people who quit smoking.
Manufacturers announce the early termination of the Light Study, a cardiovascular outcomes trial involving Contrave.
Both gastric banding and an intensive diabetes and weight management program resulted in similar outcomes in patients with diabetes at 1 year.
Researchers say it's not just about calories; some foods do not affect weight as much as people think.
Novo Nordisk announced the launch of Saxenda (liraglutide) injection for chronic weight management in adults with obesity or overweight and at least one weight-related comorbidity.
Children whose families and pediatricians were most adherent to an obesity intervention program saw greater improvements in BMI.
Scientific evidence shows both plans helped customers maintain weight loss for at least a year.
Review shows benefit for patients, with significant weight loss reported in nearly 40% of studies.
The prevalence of disordered eating among overweight girls and boys remained the same from 1999 to 2010.
A new study supports evidence that body size in childhood may influence cancer risk decades later.
Jennifer N. Clements, PharmD, BCPS, CDE, BCACP, discusses the pros and cons of liraglutide as a new therapy for weight management.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Executive Function Predicts T1D Management Into Emerging Adulthood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Intensive Blood Pressure Therapy Lowers Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- RET Inhibitor Gets Breakthrough Treatment Status for Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- Physical Activity as a Lifestyle Factor Influencing Early Menopause
- Situation Framing, Language Can Influence Decision-Making
- Gains in Insurance Coverage Seen for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Adults
- Oral Contraceptives Associated With Ventricular Repolarization Alterations