Generic Name and Formulations:
Oral typhoid vaccine live, attenuated strain Ty21a; e-c caps.
Indications for VIVOTIF:
Immunization against typhoid fever.
Adults and Children:
Do not crush or chew. Give 1 hour before a meal with cold or lukewarm (not >body temp) drink. Complete therapy at least 1 week before expected exposure; may repeat every 5yrs. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: 1 cap every other day for a total of 4 doses.
Acute febrile or GI illness. Immunocompromised states. Concomitant antibiotics (suboptimal response).
Defer in active infection, fever, persistent diarrhea, or vomiting. Exposure to contaminated food and water should be avoided. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Nausea, abdominal cramps, vomiting, rash, urticaria (all infrequent and transient).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Link Between Gestational Diabetes and Risk for CVD and Diabetes in Hispanic/Latina Population
- Clinical Characteristics Altering Risks and Benefits of Sulfonylureas and Thiazolidinedione Therapy in T2D
- 6 Factors Related to Inclusion in Health Care Workplace Identified
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D