Generic Name and Formulations:
Ganciclovir 4.5mg; per implant; for intravitreal implantation.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for VITRASERT:
Treatment of cytomegalovirus (CMV) retinitis in patients with AIDS.
Adults and Children:
<9yrs: not recommended. ≥9yrs: Implant designed to release drug over 5–8 months. May be removed and replaced following depletion of ganciclovir.
External infection. Severe thrombocytopenia.
Should be administered by surgeon who has observed or assisted in surgical implantation of Vitrasert prior to attempting procedure. Monitor for extraocular CMV disease. Ophthalmologic follow-up advised at appropriate intervals. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Visual acuity loss of 3 lines or more, vitreous hemorrhage, retinal detachments, cataract formation/lens opacities, macular abnormalities, intraocular pressure spikes, optic disk/nerve changes, hyphemas, uveitis.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure