Generic Name and Formulations:
Liraglutide [rDNA origin] 6mg/mL; soln for SC inj.
Indications for VICTOZA:
As adjunct to diet and exercise, to improve glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). To reduce the risk of major adverse CV events (eg, death, non-fatal MI/stroke) in T2DM and established CV disease.
Limitations Of use:
Not a substitute for insulin. Not for treating type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. Not studied in combination with prandial insulin.
Give by SC inj in abdomen, thigh, or upper arm once daily. Initially 0.6mg/day for 1 week, then 1.2mg/day; may increase to 1.8mg/day. If >3 days elapsed since last dose, reinitiate at 0.6mg/day, then titrate. Renal impairment: caution with initiating or escalating doses.
<18yrs: not recommended.
History (personal or family) of medullary thyroid carcinoma. Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2.
Risk of thyroid C-cell tumors; inform patients of potential risk and symptoms. Discontinue if pancreatitis is suspected; do not restart if confirmed. History of pancreatitis. Evaluate if cholelithiasis is suspected. Do not reuse or share pens or needles between patients. Renal or hepatic impairment. Dehydration. Gastroparesis. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant insulin (insufficient data); administer as separate injections not adjacent to each other. Hypoglycemia with sulfonylureas or insulin (consider reducing their doses). May affect absorption of concomitant oral drugs (delayed gastric emptying); caution.
Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist.
Nausea, diarrhea, headache, vomiting, decreased appetite, dyspepsia, constipation, immunogenicity reactions (eg, urticaria); rare: pancreatitis, papillary thyroid carcinoma, hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occur).
Multi-dose, pre-filled pens (3mL)—2, 3
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Telemedicine Expands Access to Rural, Low-Income, Isolated Communities
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- MiniMed 670G System Improves Glycemic Outcomes in Children With T1D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Low Sperm Count Linked to Poor Metabolic, Cardiovascular, Bone Health
- Estrogen Improves Eating Behavior, Psychopathology in Oligo-Amenorrheic Athletes