Generic Name and Formulations:
Iloprost 10mcg/mL, 20mcg/mL; soln for inhalation using I-neb or Prodose AAD System; preservative-free.
Indications for VENTAVIS:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (WHO Group I) in patients with NYHA Class III or IV symptoms to improve exercise ability and delay clinical worsening.
Initially 2.5mcg, if tolerated, uptitrate to 5micrograms 6–9 times daily based on tolerability (no more than every 2 hrs); max 45mcg/day. Monitor vital signs while initiating therapy. Hepatic impairment: consider increasing dosing interval (eg, 3–4 hours) between doses.
Do not start therapy if systolic BP <85 mmHg. Discontinue immediately if pulmonary edema occurs (may indicate pulmonary venous hypertension). Bleeding disorders. Avoid contact with eyes and skin, oral ingestion. COPD. Severe asthma. Acute pulmonary infections. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates hypotensive effect of vasodilators and antihypertensives. May potentiate anticoagulants. Do not mix with other drugs.
Vasodilation, increased cough, headache, lockjaw, insomnia, GI upset, hypotension, flu syndrome, back pain, abnormal lab tests (eg, increased GGT, alkaline phosphatase), tongue pain, palpitations, syncope, muscle cramps, hemoptysis, pneumonia, CHF, chest pain, supraventricular tachycardia, dyspnea, peripheral edema, kidney failure.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Link Between Gestational Diabetes and Risk for CVD and Diabetes in Hispanic/Latina Population
- Clinical Characteristics Altering Risks and Benefits of Sulfonylureas and Thiazolidinedione Therapy in T2D
- 6 Factors Related to Inclusion in Health Care Workplace Identified
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D