Generic Name and Formulations:
Patiromer 8.4g, 16.8g, 25.2g; per pkt; pwd for oral susp.
Indications for VELTASSA:
Limitations Of use:
Not for emergency treatment for life-threatening hyperkalemia due to its delayed onset of action.
Give at least 3hrs before or 3hrs after other oral medications. Take with food. Initially 8.4g once daily. Adjust dose in 8.4g increments as needed at ≥1-week intervals to obtain desired serum potassium target range; max 25.2g/day.
Monitor serum potassium, magnesium. Consider magnesium supplementation if low serum levels develop. Severe constipation, bowel obstruction or impaction, abnormal post-op bowel motility disorders; avoid.
May reduce absorption and efficacy of other oral medications; separate dosing by at least 3hrs.
Constipation, hypomagnesemia, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal discomfort, flatulence.
Single-use packets (8.4g)—4, 30; (16.8g, 25.2g)—30
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine