Generic Name and Formulations:
Sucroferric oxyhydroxide 500mg; chew tabs.
Fresenius Medical Care North America
Indications for VELPHORO:
For control of serum phosphorus levels in patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis.
Chew, do not swallow whole. Take with meals. Initially 500mg 3 times daily; monitor serum phosphorus levels and titrate dose in decrements or increments of 500mg/day as needed until acceptable serum phosphorus level reached. May titrate as often as weekly.
GI, hepatic, or iron accumulation disorders; monitor effect and iron homeostasis. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Separate dosing of doxycycline (at least 1 hour before Velphoro). Concomitant levothyroxine: not recommended.
Discolored feces, diarrhea, nausea.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure