Generic Name and Formulations:
Vasopressin 20U/mL; soln for IV inj after dilution.
Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for VASOSTRICT:
To increase blood pressure in vasodilatory shock (eg, post-cardiotomy or sepsis) who remain hypotensive despite fluids and catecholamines.
Use lowest effective dose. Post-cardiotomy shock: initially 0.03U/min; max 0.1U/min. Septic shock: initially 0.01U/min; max 0.07U/min. May titrate up by 0.005U/min at 10–15min intervals if target BP not achieved. After target BP maintained for 8hrs without use of catecholamines, taper by 0.005U/min every hour as tolerated to maintain target BP.
Impaired cardiac response may worsen cardiac output. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: advise to pump and discard breast milk for 1.5hrs after vasopressin dose.
Additive effect with concomitant catecholamines. May be potentiated by indomethacin, ganglionic blocking agents, furosemide, SSRIs, tricyclics, haloperidol, chlorpropamide, enalapril, methyldopa, pentamidine, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, ifosfamide, felbamate. May be antagonized by demeclocycline, lithium, foscarnet, clozapine.
Decreased cardiac output, bradycardia, tachyarrhythmias, hyponatremia, ischemia (coronary, mesenteric, skin, digital).
Multi-dose vials (1mL)—25
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- HbA1c Levels Predictive of Liraglutide Treatment Response in T2D
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine