Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella virus vaccine live, attenuated (Oka/Merck) (human and guinea pig cell cultures) with 1350 plaque-forming units (PFU) minimum per 0.5mL after reconstitution; for SC inj; lyophilized; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for VARIVAX:
Varicella (chickenpox) vaccination.
Give SC in deltoid area or anterolateral thigh. ≥13yrs: 1 dose of 0.5mL at elected date and a 2nd dose of 0.5mL at least 4 weeks later.
Give SC in deltoid area or anterolateral thigh. <12 months: not recommended. 12 months–12yrs: 1 dose of 0.5mL. If a 2nd dose is administered, separate by at least 3 months.
See full labeling. Hypersensitivity to gelatin or neomycin. Active febrile infection. Active untreated tuberculosis. Primary or acquired immunodeficiency. Leukemia, lymphoma, or other bone marrow or lymphatic malignancy. HIV/AIDS. Immunosuppressant therapy. During pregnancy (Cat.X) and for 3 months after vaccination.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Defer vaccination if family history of congenital or hereditary immunodeficiency until immunocompetent. Avoid contact with susceptible high-risk individuals for up to 6 weeks after vaccination. HIV-infected: see full labeling. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Defer vaccination for at least 5 months after blood or plasma transfusion or immune globulins. Avoid immune globulin administration for 2 months after vaccination. Avoid salicylates in patients (12 months through 17 years of age) for 6 weeks after vaccination. May interfere with tuberculin skin test.
Fever, local reactions, rash; others.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (w. diluent)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Nivolumab Associated With Thyroiditis in Patients With Cancer
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Gender-Related Association Between Physical Activity, Psychological Status in T2D
- Adverse Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Outcomes in PCOS
- HbA1c Variability Predicts All-Cause Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes
- Choroidal Thickness Changes in Patients With Untreated Diabetes
- Pre-Pregnancy Fitness Lowers Gestational Diabetes Risk