Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella virus vaccine live, attenuated (Oka/Merck) (human and guinea pig cell cultures) with 1350 plaque-forming units (PFU) minimum per 0.5mL after reconstitution; for SC inj; lyophilized; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for VARIVAX:
Varicella (chickenpox) vaccination.
Give SC in deltoid area or anterolateral thigh. ≥13yrs: 1 dose of 0.5mL at elected date and a 2nd dose of 0.5mL at least 4 weeks later.
Give SC in deltoid area or anterolateral thigh. <12 months: not recommended. 12 months–12yrs: 1 dose of 0.5mL. If a 2nd dose is administered, separate by at least 3 months.
See full labeling. Hypersensitivity to gelatin or neomycin. Active febrile infection. Active untreated tuberculosis. Primary or acquired immunodeficiency. Leukemia, lymphoma, or other bone marrow or lymphatic malignancy. HIV/AIDS. Immunosuppressant therapy. During pregnancy (Cat.X) and for 3 months after vaccination.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Defer vaccination if family history of congenital or hereditary immunodeficiency until immunocompetent. Avoid contact with susceptible high-risk individuals for up to 6 weeks after vaccination. HIV-infected: see full labeling. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Defer vaccination for at least 5 months after blood or plasma transfusion or immune globulins. Avoid immune globulin administration for 2 months after vaccination. Avoid salicylates in patients (12 months through 17 years of age) for 6 weeks after vaccination. May interfere with tuberculin skin test.
Fever, local reactions, rash; others.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (w. diluent)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Executive Function Predicts T1D Management Into Emerging Adulthood
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- RET Inhibitor Gets Breakthrough Treatment Status for Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- Physical Activity as a Lifestyle Factor Influencing Early Menopause
- Situation Framing, Language Can Influence Decision-Making
- Gains in Insurance Coverage Seen for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Adults
- Oral Contraceptives Associated With Ventricular Repolarization Alterations