Generic Name and Formulations:
Polidocanol 1% (1.3mg/mL); foam for IV inj after activation.
Indications for VARITHENA:
Treatment of incompetent great saphenous veins (GSV), accessory saphenous veins, and visible varicosities of the great saphenous vein system above and below the knee.
See full labeling. For IV inj using ultrasound guidance, administered via a single cannula into the lumen of the target incompetent trunk veins or by direct inj into varicosities. Use up to 5mL per injection and max 15mL per treatment session. Inject foam slowly (approx. 1mL/sec in the GSV and 0.5mL/sec in accessory veins or varicosities). Repeat if necessary; separate treatment sessions by a minimum of 5 days. Apply compression bandaging and stockings and have the patient walk for at least 10mins; monitor. Maintain compression for 2 weeks post-treatment.
Acute thromboembolic disease.
Do not inject intra-arterially. Must be experienced in venous procedures. Monitor for at least 10mins post-inj for anaphylaxis; treat appropriately if occurs. Increased risk of tissue ischemia in peripheral arteriosclerosis or thromboangiitis obliterans (Buerger’s Disease). Monitor for venous thrombosis post-treatment. Increased risk of thrombosis in patients with reduced mobility, history of DVT/PE, major surgery within 3 months, prolonged hospitalization, pregnancy. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Pain/discomfort in extremity, infusion site thrombosis (retained coagulum), injection site hematoma or pain, thrombophlebitis superficial, extravasation; anaphylaxis (may be fatal).
Convenience box—1 (w. canisters, transfer units, administration boxes); Bi-canister—1; Administration pack—1 (transfer unit, components)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D
- In Teens, Young Adults, High BMI May Hurt Cardiovascular Health
- Obesity Paradox Affects Type 2 Diabetes Mortality Rates
- Bi-Directional Association Observed Between Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetes
- Real-World Data Show Reduced Fracture Rates in Teriparatide-Treated Osteoporosis