VARIBAR NECTAR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Barium sulfate 40% w/v; oral susp; apple flavor; contains polysorbate 80.
Indications for VARIBAR NECTAR:
For use in modified barium swallow exams to evaluate the oral and pharyngeal function and morphology.
For oral use only. 5mL. May give multiple doses as needed during exam; max total dose: 30mL.
For oral use only. <6mos: 0.5–1mL; ≥6mos: 1–3mL. May give multiple doses as needed during exam; max total dose: 30mL.
Known or suspected GI tract perforation. Known GI obstruction. High risk of GI perforation (eg, recent prior perforation, acute GI hemorrhage or ischemia, toxic megacolon, severe ileus, post GI surgery or biopsy, acute GI injury/burn, recent pelvic radiotherapy). High risk of aspiration (eg, tracheoesophageal fistula or obtundation).
History of bronchial asthma, atopy, or food allergies. Hypersensitivity reactions: have emergency equipment readily available. Increased risk of intra-abdominal barium leakage with carcinomas, GI fistula, inflammatory bowel disease, gastric or duodenal ulcer, appendicitis, diverticulitis, severe GI stenosis. Increased risk of GI obstruction or baroliths with severe GI stenosis, impaired GI motility, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, low residue diet, concomitant drugs that delay GI motility, constipation, pediatric cystic fibrosis or Hirschsprung disease, elderly. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor for aspiration; discontinue if suspected. Monitor for potential intravasation.
Radiographic contrast medium.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping; aspiration pneumonitis, barium sulfate impaction, GI perforation, vasovagal and syncopal episodes, hypersensitivity reactions.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D
- In Teens, Young Adults, High BMI May Hurt Cardiovascular Health
- Obesity Paradox Affects Type 2 Diabetes Mortality Rates
- Bi-Directional Association Observed Between Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetes
- Real-World Data Show Reduced Fracture Rates in Teriparatide-Treated Osteoporosis