Generic Name and Formulations:
Lipase/protease/amylase; 4000Units/8000Units/8000Units, 13800Units/27600Units/27600Units, 20700Units/41400Units/41400Units, 23000Units/46000Units/46000Units; del-rel caps; e-c minitabs in caps.
Indications for ULTRESA:
Treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to cystic fibrosis, or other conditions.
Adults and Children:
Start at the lowest recommended dose and increase gradually. Individualize based on clinical symptoms, the degree of steatorrhea present, and the fat content of the diet. Swallow whole; do not crush or chew caps. May mix contents with applesauce or other acidic soft food (pH≤ 4.5); swallow mixture immediately, follow with water or juice; take with meals; do not let any drug remain in mouth. ≤12mos: 4000 lipase units per 120mL of formula or per breastfeeding; give prior to each feeding, do not mix directly. >12mos–<4yrs: initially 1000 lipase units/kg per meal. ≥4yrs: initially 500 lipase units/kg per meal. Max (>12mos): 2500 lipase units/kg per meal (or ≤10000 lipase units/kg/day), or <4000 lipase units/g fat ingested/day. See full labeling.
Not interchangeable with other pancrelipase products. Fibrosing colonopathy (with high doses); risk of stricture formation (monitor). Pork allergy. Potential viral transmission. Gout. Renal impairment. Hyperuricemia. Contents irritating to oral mucosa. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pancreatic enzymes (porcine).
Headache, pharyngolaryngeal pain, epistaxis; allergic reactions.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Cochrane Data Release and the Case for "Open Science"
- Rate of Type 2 Diabetes in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Characteristics of Acquired Partial Lipodystrophy With Metabolic Abnormalities
- Poor Glycemic Control Associated With Higher Risk for Dementia in Older Adults With T1D
- Shift Seen From EDs to Urgent Care for Low-Acuity, Acute Care