Generic Name and Formulations:
Sevoflurane; volatile liq for inhalation.
Indications for ULTANE:
Induction and maintenance of general anesthesia for surgery.
Adults and Children:
Use sevoflurane calibrated vaporizer. Individualize. Surgical maintenance: usually 0.5–3% sevoflurane with or without nitrous oxide. May be administered with any type of anesthesia circuit. See full labeling for minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) values based on age.
Susceptibility to malignant hyperthermia. Sensitivity to halogenated agents.
To be administered only by those experienced in general anesthesia. Have intubation, artificial ventilation, oxygen and circulatory resuscitation available. Sevoflurane exposure >2 MAC hours at flow rates 1 to <2L/min and fresh gas flow rates <1L/min: not recommended. Renal insufficiency. Severe hepatic impairment. Monitor BP, hepatic and renal function, urine flow during treatment. Neuromuscular disease (eg, Duchenne muscular dystrophy). Susceptible to congenital long QT syndrome. Dessicated CO2 absorbents. Pediatric neurotoxicity risk with repeated or prolonged use. Elderly. Premature infants. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Concomitant KOH containing CO2 absorbents: not recommended. Hyperkalemia with succinylcholine. Potentiated by benzodiazepines, opioids, nitrous oxide. Potentiates neuromuscular blockers (eg, pancuronium, vecuronium, atracurium). Caution with concomitant drugs that prolong the QT interval.
Nausea, vomiting, agitation, somnolence, dizziness, increased salivation, tachycardia, bradycardia, hypotension, cough increased, laryngospasm, airway obstruction, breath holding, shivering, apnea, hypertension; malignant hyperthermia, perioperative hyperkalemia, renal injury (eg, glycosuria and proteinuria); rare: seizures (esp. children), post-op hepatic dysfunction, torsades de pointes, transient elevations in glucose, LFTs, WBC count.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Relationship Between HbA1c and Coronary Artery Disease
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- FDA to Review Gimoti for Diabetic Gastroparesis in Adult Women
- FDA Approves First Mobile App for Use in Preventing Pregnancy
- Hypothyroidism Predicts Atrial Tachyarrhythmia After AF Catheter Ablation
- Treating Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy With Electroacupuncture