Generic Name and Formulations:
Febuxostat 40mg, 80mg; tabs.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
Indications for ULORIC:
Chronic management of hyperuricemia in patients with gout.
≥18yrs: initially 40mg once daily. Obtain target serum uric acid levels <6mg/dL after 2 weeks of initiating therapy; if not <6mg/dL, may increase to 80mg once daily. Gout flare prophylaxis, with an NSAID or colchicine, upon initiation of therapy and for up to 6 months, is recommended. Severe renal impairment: max 40mg once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Concomitant azathioprine, mercaptopurine.
Not for treating asymptomatic hyperuricemia. Cardiovascular events: monitor for signs and symptoms of MI and stroke. Measure LFTs at baseline and if liver injury is suspected; interrupt therapy if ALT>3xULN and investigate cause. Do not restart if ALT>3xULN with serum total bilirubin >2xULN without alternative etiologies; for lesser elevations, use with caution. Severe hepatic impairment. Severe renal impairment (see Adult) or ESRD on dialysis. Secondary hyperuricemia (eg, Lesch-Nyhan syndrome, malignant disease, or in organ transplant recipients): not recommended. Discontinue if serious skin reactions are suspected (eg, DRESS, TEN). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Xanthine oxidase inhibitor.
See Contraindications. Potentiates xanthine oxidase substrate drugs (eg, theophylline).
Abnormal LFTs, nausea, arthralgia, rash; gout flares, hepatic failure.
Tabs 40mg—30, 90, 500; 80mg—30, 100, 1000
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Relationship Between HbA1c and Coronary Artery Disease
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- FDA to Review Gimoti for Diabetic Gastroparesis in Adult Women
- FDA Approves First Mobile App for Use in Preventing Pregnancy
- Hypothyroidism Predicts Atrial Tachyarrhythmia After AF Catheter Ablation
- Treating Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy With Electroacupuncture