Generic Name and Formulations:
Tigecycline 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for TYGACIL:
Susceptible complicated skin and skin structure and intra-abdominal infections. Community-acquired bacterial pneumonia (CABP). Limitations of use: not for treating diabetic foot infection, hospital-acquired or ventilator-associated pneumonia.
≥18yrs: Give by IV infusion over 30–60 mins. 100mg once, then 50mg every 12hrs. Skin, skin structure, and intra-abdominal infections: treat for 5–14 days. CABP: treat for 7–14 days. Severe hepatic impairment (Child Pugh C): 100mg once, then 25mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not recommended. See full labeling for suggested dosages when no alternative antibacterial drugs are available.
Risk of increase in all-cause mortality; reserve for use when alternatives are not suitable. Monitor for hepatic dysfunction and pancreatitis; consider discontinuing if occurs. Ventilator-associated pneumonia. Complicated intra-abdominal infections secondary to intestinal perforation: avoid monotherapy (sepsis/septic shock may develop). Avoid during tooth development; may cause permanent discoloration of the teeth. Severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.D): not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Monitor warfarin. May antagonize oral contraceptives.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, increased SGPT, inj site reactions, photosensitivity, pseudotumor cerebri; pancreatitis, superinfection, anaphylaxis, C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs).
Single-use vials (5mL, 10mL)—10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Nivolumab Associated With Thyroiditis in Patients With Cancer
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Gender-Related Association Between Physical Activity, Psychological Status in T2D
- Adverse Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Outcomes in PCOS
- HbA1c Variability Predicts All-Cause Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes
- Choroidal Thickness Changes in Patients With Untreated Diabetes
- Pre-Pregnancy Fitness Lowers Gestational Diabetes Risk