Generic Name and Formulations:
Linagliptin 5mg; tabs.
Boehringer Ingelheim and Lilly
Indications for TRADJENTA:
Adjunct to diet and exercise in type 2 diabetes mellitus, as monotherapy or combination therapy.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. Not studied in patients with a history of pancreatitis.
5mg once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Consider risks/benefits in patients with known risk factors for heart failure; monitor for signs/symptoms; evaluate and consider discontinuing if develops. Monitor for signs/symptoms of pancreatitis, serious hypersensitivity reactions, severe joint pain, or bullous pemphigoid; discontinue if suspected or occurs. History of angioedema to other DPP-4 inhibitors. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by strong P-gp or CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin); consider alternatives to linagliptin if used in combination. May need lower dose of concomitant sulfonylurea or insulin to reduce risk of hypoglycemia.
Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor.
Nasopharyngitis, diarrhea, cough, hypoglycemia; hypersensitivity reactions (eg, anaphylaxis, urticaria, angioedema, exfoliative skin conditions, bronchial hyperreactivity), myalgia, pancreatitis, severe and disabling arthralgia, bullous pemphigoid.
Enterohepatic (80%), renal (5%).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk