TOBI Podhaler Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tobramycin 28mg; per cap; dry pwd for oral inhalation; with Podhaler device.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for TOBI Podhaler:
Management of cystic fibrosis patients with P. aeruginosa.
Adults and Children:
<6yrs: not established. For oral inhalation use only with Podhaler device; do not swallow caps. Give in alternate 28-day cycles (28 days on, 28 days off). ≥6yrs: Inhale contents of 4 caps twice daily, as close to every 12hrs as possible (must be at least 6hrs apart). Give last when using multiple inhalation therapies.
Safety and efficacy have not been demonstrated in patients <6yrs, in those with FEV1 <25% or >80% predicted, or patients colonized with B. cepacia. Known or suspected auditory, vestibular, renal, or neuromuscular dysfunction. Myasthenia gravis. Parkinson’s disease. Consider performing an audiogram at baseline (esp. at risk of auditory dysfunction). Monitor serum tobramycin levels in auditory or renal dysfunction patients, or if used with other aminoglycosides (or other nephrotoxic or ototoxic drugs) as needed. Discontinue if ototoxicity or nephrotoxicity occurs; may restart when serum tobramycin <2µg/mL. Monitor renal function as needed. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant ethacrynic acid, furosemide, urea, IV mannitol: not recommended. Diuretics may increase toxicity. Avoid concomitant and/or sequential use with other neurotoxic, nephrotoxic, or ototoxic drugs.
Cough, lung disorder, productive cough, dyspnea, pyrexia, oropharyngeal pain, dysphonia, hemoptysis, headache; hearing loss, tinnitus, nephrotoxicity, bronchospasm.
Caps—8, 56, 224 (w. Podhaler device)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure