Incidence Of, Mortality From Thyroid Cancer Increased in US

Share this content:
Increases in papillary thyroid cancer were most common between 1974 and 2013.
Increases in papillary thyroid cancer were most common between 1974 and 2013.

HealthDay News — The overall incidence of thyroid cancer increased by 3.6% annually from 1974 to 2013, according to a study published online in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Hyeyeun Lim, PhD, from the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, MD, and colleagues used data from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results-9 (SEER-9) cancer registry program to examine trends in thyroid cancer incidence and incidence-based mortality rates. Data were included for 77,276 patients diagnosed with thyroid cancer from 1974 to 2013.

Continue Reading Below

The researchers found that papillary thyroid cancer was the most common histologic type (64,625 cases). From 1994 to 2013 there were 2,371 thyroid cancer deaths. There was an increase in the incidence of thyroid cancer, on average by 3.6% per year during 1974 to 2013, mainly due to increases in papillary thyroid cancer (annual percentage change, 4.4%). The incidence of papillary thyroid cancer increased for all SEER stages at diagnosis (4.6%, 4.3%, 2.4%, and 1.8% per year for localized, regional, distant, and unknown, respectively). Incidence-based mortality increased 1.1% per year from 1994 to 2013 overall and by 2.9% per year for SEER distant stage papillary thyroid cancer.

"These findings are consistent with a true increase in the occurrence of thyroid cancer in the United States," the authors write.

One author disclosed being on the Data Monitoring Committee of the Medullary Thyroid Cancer Consortium Registry, which is sponsored by pharmaceutical companies.


Lim H, Devesa SS, Sosa JA, Check D, Kitahara CM. Trends in thyroid cancer incidence and mortality in the United States, 1974-2013. JAMA. 2017;317(13):1338-1348. doi: 10.1001/jama.2017.2719

You must be a registered member of Endocrinology Advisor to post a comment.

Sign Up for Free e-Newsletters

CME Focus