Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefixime 400mg; tabs.
Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for SUPRAX:
Susceptible infections, including pharyngitis, tonsillitis, acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis; uncomplicated UTIs and cervical or urethral gonorrhea.
400mg once daily or 200mg every 12 hrs. Gonorrhea: 400mg once. Infections due to Streptococcus pyogenes: treat for at least 10 days. Renal impairment: adjust dose; see full labeling.
<6 months: not established. Chew tabs: chew or crush before swallowing. <50kg and 6 months–12yrs: 8mg/kg once daily or 4mg/kg every 12 hrs. >50kg or >12yrs: use adult dose. Otitis media: treat with chew tabs or susp; do not substitute with tabs. Infections due to Streptococcus pyogenes: treat for at least 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment. History of GI disease. Chew tabs: phenylketonuria. Labor and delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate carbamazepine, anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) (monitor). May cause false (+) Clinitest, direct Coomb's, nitroprusside test for ketones. Potentiated by probenecid.
Diarrhea, nausea, loose stools, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, vomiting, hypersensitivity reactions, headache, dizziness, seizures, transient renal and hepatic effects; C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
Tabs—10, 50, 100; Chew tabs—10, 50; Susp 100mg/5mL—50mL, 75mL, 100mL; 200mg/5mL—25mL, 37.5mL, 50mL, 75mL, 100mL; 500mg/5mL—10mL, 20mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Relationship Between HbA1c and Coronary Artery Disease
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Bone Mineral Density Loss Eventually Stabilizes in Men With Type 1 Diabetes
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- FDA to Review Gimoti for Diabetic Gastroparesis in Adult Women
- FDA Approves First Mobile App for Use in Preventing Pregnancy
- Hypothyroidism Predicts Atrial Tachyarrhythmia After AF Catheter Ablation
- Treating Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy With Electroacupuncture