Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefixime 400mg; tabs.
Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for SUPRAX:
Susceptible infections, including pharyngitis, tonsillitis, acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis; uncomplicated UTIs and cervical or urethral gonorrhea.
400mg once daily or 200mg every 12 hrs. Gonorrhea: 400mg once. Infections due to Streptococcus pyogenes: treat for at least 10 days. Renal impairment: adjust dose; see full labeling.
<6 months: not established. Chew tabs: chew or crush before swallowing. <50kg and 6 months–12yrs: 8mg/kg once daily or 4mg/kg every 12 hrs. >50kg or >12yrs: use adult dose. Otitis media: treat with chew tabs or susp; do not substitute with tabs. Infections due to Streptococcus pyogenes: treat for at least 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment. History of GI disease. Chew tabs: phenylketonuria. Labor and delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate carbamazepine, anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) (monitor). May cause false (+) Clinitest, direct Coomb's, nitroprusside test for ketones. Potentiated by probenecid.
Diarrhea, nausea, loose stools, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, vomiting, hypersensitivity reactions, headache, dizziness, seizures, transient renal and hepatic effects; C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
Tabs—10, 50, 100; Chew tabs—10, 50; Susp 100mg/5mL—50mL, 75mL, 100mL; 200mg/5mL—25mL, 37.5mL, 50mL, 75mL, 100mL; 500mg/5mL—10mL, 20mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Hypothyroidism Treatment No Longer Available
- Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in Personal Care Products Linked to Early Puberty
- Normalized HbA1c Levels Facilitate Improved Neuropathy Outcomes in T2D
- Parental Perception of Child Weight Status Predicted by Child BMI z Scores
- Fear Impacts Quality of Life for Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes
- Five-Year Efficacy Data Announced for Liletta Intrauterine System
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information