SULFAMYLON 5% TOPICAL SOLUTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Mafenide acetate 50g/packet; pwd for reconstitution (5% soln after mixing).
Indications for SULFAMYLON 5% TOPICAL SOLUTION:
Adjunct to control bacterial infection when used under moist dressings over meshed autografts on excised burn wounds.
Adults and Children:
<3months: not recommended. ≥3months: Cover grafted area with one layer of fine mesh gauze. Cut an eight-ply burn dressing to the size of graft, wet with solution using an irrigation syringe and/or tubing until noticeable leaking. Maintain moisture with irrigation tubing (see literature) or wet dressing every 6–8 hours as needed. May leave wound dressings undisturbed for up to 5 days, except when irrigating. Additional soaks may be initiated until graft take is complete. Continue treatment until autograft vascularization and healing is progressing (approx. 5 days). Individual grafting procedure: max 5 days. Withhold therapy for 24–48 hours if acidosis occurs.
G6PD deficiency. Sulfite sensitivity. Asthma. Acute renal failure. Monitor acid-base balance closely (esp. with extensive 2nd degree or partial thickness burns, pulmonary or renal impairment). Pregnancy (Cat.C); (crm: not recommended for women of childbearing potential; unless burn area >20% of total body surface). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Application-site pain, burning sensation, allergic manifestations (eg, rash, pruritus, facial edema, swelling, erythema; discontinue if occur), tachypnea, hyperventilation, metabolic acidosis; respiratory alkalosis, fatal hemolytic anemia with disseminated intravascular coagulation, fungal colonization; rare: excoriation of new skin, bleeding of skin.
Crm—2oz, 4oz, 16oz
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk