Sulfacetamide sodium + Prednisolone sodium phosphate Ophthalmic Solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulfacetamide sodium 100mg, prednisolone sodium phosphate 2.5mg; per mL; contains thimersol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Sulfacetamide sodium + Prednisolone sodium phosphate Ophthalmic Solution:
For steroid-responsive inflammatory ocular conditions for which a corticosteroid is indicated and where bacterial infection or a risk of bacterial ocular infection exists.
Adults and Children:
<6yrs: not established. ≥6yrs: instill 2 drops in the eye(s) every 4 hours. Max initial ℞: 20mL.
Ocular fungal, viral or mycobacterial infections.
Do not inject into the eye. Corneal or scleral thinning. Severe dry eye. Glaucoma. Monitor IOP, and for secondary infections in prolonged use. Discontinue if sensitization reaction occurs. Reevaluate if symptoms fail to improve after two days. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antibacterial + steroid.
Incompatible with silver preparations. Local anesthetics related to p-aminobenzoic acid may antagonize the action of sulfonamide.
Local irritation, sensitization, masks infection, delays healing; in prolonged use: increased IOP, cataracts, corneal perforation, optic nerve damage.
Formerly known under the brand name Vasocidin.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Executive Function Predicts T1D Management Into Emerging Adulthood
- Intensive Blood Pressure Therapy Lowers Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age
- LVAD in Heart Failure Linked to Improved Glycemic Control
- Fundamental Institutional Change Is Needed to Eliminate Sexual Harassment
- Gestational Diabetes Tied to Subsequent Glucose Disorders
- Association Health Plans Can Help Small Businesses Offer Coverage