Generic Name and Formulations:
Brinzolamide 1%, brimonidine tartrate 0.2%; oph susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for SIMBRINZA:
Reduction of elevated intraocular pressure in open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: contraindicated. ≥2yrs: 1 drop three times daily.
Neonates and infants <2yrs.
Sulfonamide allergy. Discontinue if serious systemic or hypersensitivity reactions occur. Increased risk of corneal edema in patients with low endothelium cell counts. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): not recommended. Hepatic impairment. Severe cardiovascular disease. Depression. Cerebral or coronary insufficiency. Raynaud’s phenomenon. Orthostatic hypotension. Thromboangitis obliterans. Acute angle-closure glaucoma. Remove soft contact lenses before use; may reinsert 15mins later. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor + alpha-2 agonist.
Concomitant oral carbonic anhydrase inhibitors: not recommended. Caution with antihypertensives, cardiac glycosides, tricyclic antidepressants, MAOIs. Concomitant high-dose salicylate may produce acid-base and electrolyte alterations. May be potentiated by CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, opiates, barbiturates, sedatives, anesthetics). Separate administration of other oph drugs by ≥5 minutes.
Blurred vision, eye irritation, dysgeusia, dry mouth, eye allergy.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Assessing the Environmental Impact of the Healthcare Industry
- Medical Schools Phase Out Lectures as Education Shifts Outside the Classroom
- Clonidine Testing Is Safe and Reliable for Diagnosing Growth Hormone Deficiency