Generic Name and Formulations:
Salsalate 500mg, 750mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Salsalate:
Rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis.
3g daily in divided doses.
Varicella or influenza in teenagers. 3rd trimester pregnancy. Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Impaired renal or hepatic function. Hypertension. Heart failure. Edema. Bleeding disorders. Monitor blood, liver, renal function with chronic use. Peptic ulcer. Gastritis. Diabetes. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
PABA may increase serum levels. May potentiate anticoagulants, hypoglycemics, methotrexate. Urinary alkalinizers, antacids, corticosteroids may increase excretion. May antagonize uricosurics and spironolactone.
Salicylism, tinnitus, nausea, dyspepsia, GI bleed, hearing loss, rash (discontinue if occurs). See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Formerly known under the brand names Disalcid, Salflex.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Ivacaftor Improves Insulin Secretion in Children With Cystic Fibrosis
- Genetic Testing Recommended for Familial Hypercholesterolemia
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Assessing the Environmental Impact of the Healthcare Industry