Generic Name and Formulations:
Dantrolene sodium 20mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains mannitol.
US WorldMeds, LLC
Indications for REVONTO:
Management of the fulminant hypermetabolism of skeletal muscle characteristic of malignant hyperthermia (MH). Prevention of malignant hyperthermia in susceptible patients during pre-op or sometimes post-op.
Adults and Children:
Treatment: Give by rapid IV push at a minimum of 1mg/kg, continue until symptoms subside or max cumulative dose of 10mg/kg has been reached; if physiologic and metabolic abnormalities reappear, repeat regimen. Prevention: Start approx. 75 mins prior to anesthesia, give 2.5mg/kg by IV infusion over 1hr; may give additional doses during anesthesia or prolonged surgery.
Institute supportive measures (eg, discontinue MH-triggering agents, increase oxygen requirements, manage metabolic acidosis, cooling if necessary, monitor urinary output and electrolyte imbalance). Monitor for skeletal muscle weakness, difficulty swallowing and choking. Increased risk of hepatic injury (esp. in females or patients >35yrs of age); monitor hepatic function frequently (eg, SGOT, SGPT). Avoid extravasation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Muscle relaxant (skeletal).
Avoid MH-triggering agents. Concomitant calcium channel blockers (eg, verapamil): not recommended. Caution with concomitant tranquilizers. May potentiate vecuronium-induced neuromuscular block. Protein binding reduced by warfarin or clofibrate; and increased by tolbutamide.
Loss of grip strength, weakness in the legs, drowsiness, dizziness, thrombophlebitis, tissue necrosis secondary to extravasation, inj site reactions (eg, pain, erythema, swelling); rare: pulmonary edema, urticaria, erythema.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Testosterone Use Remains High Among Men With Coronary Artery Disease
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Comparing Osteoporosis Screening, Treatment Strategies in Postmenopausal Women
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Cerebral Small Vessel Disease More Common in Individuals With T1D vs General Population
- ADA's 2019 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes Focus on Patient-Centered Care
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis May Affect Brain Development in Children With T1D
- Higher Rates of Comorbidities Among Holocaust Survivors
- Population Health Data May Help Identify Patients at Risk for CVD
- Newborn Genomic Sequencing Can Identify Disease Risk