Generic Name and Formulations:
Sevelamer carbonate 800mg; tabs.
Sanofi Genzyme Company
Indications for RENVELA:
Control of serum phosphorus in patients ≥6yrs with chronic kidney disease on dialysis.
Take with meals. Patients not taking a phosphate binder: serum phosphorus >5.5 and <7.5mg/dL: 800mg 3 times daily; ≥7.5mg/dL: 1.6g 3 times daily. Titrate by 800mg/meal at 2-week intervals to serum phosphorus target range; average max 7.2g/day. Switching from sevelamer HCl or switching between sevelamer carbonate tabs and pwd: use same dose in grams. Switching from calcium acetate: sevelamer carbonate 800mg approximates calcium acetate 667mg (see full labeling).
<6yrs: not established. ≥6yrs: Take with meals. Patients not taking a phosphate binder: BSA: ≥0.75–<1.2m2: 800mg 3 times daily; titrate by 400mg/dose at 2-week intervals to achieve target levels; ≥1.2m2: 1.6g 3 times daily; titrate by 800mg/dose at 2-week intervals to achieve target levels.
Dysphagia. Swallowing disorders (use susp. form). Severe GI motility disorders. Major GI tract surgery. Pregnancy.
Concomitant with drugs that have a narrow therapeutic index; monitor. Consider separation of administration with cyclosporine, tacrolimus, or levothyroxine. Separate dosing of ciprofloxacin by ≥2hrs before or 6hrs after sevelamer; mycophenolate mofetil by ≥2hrs before sevelamer.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, flatulence, constipation; rare: bowel obstruction, perforation.
Tabs—30, 270; Packets—90
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Telemedicine Expands Access to Rural, Low-Income, Isolated Communities
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- MiniMed 670G System Improves Glycemic Outcomes in Children With T1D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Low Sperm Count Linked to Poor Metabolic, Cardiovascular, Bone Health
- Estrogen Improves Eating Behavior, Psychopathology in Oligo-Amenorrheic Athletes