RENAGEL TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sevelamer HCl 400mg, 800mg.
Sanofi Genzyme Company
Indications for RENAGEL TABLETS:
Control of serum phosphorus in patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis.
Swallow whole with meals. Patients not taking a phosphate binder: serum phosphorus >5.5 to <7.5mg/dL: 800mg 3 times daily; 7.5–<9mg/dL: 1.2–1.6g 3 times daily; ≥9mg/dL: 1.6g 3 times daily. Titrate by 1 tab per meal at 2-week intervals to keep serum phosphorus ≤5.5mg/dL. Switching from calcium acetate to sevelamer: see full labeling.
Dysphagia. Swallowing disorders. Severe GI motility disorders. Major GI tract surgery. Monitor serum bicarbonate, chloride. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Concomitant with drugs that have a narrow therapeutic index; monitor. Consider separation of administration with cyclosporine, tacrolimus, or levothyroxine. Separate dosing of ciprofloxacin by ≥2hrs before or 6hrs after sevelamer; mycophenolate mofetil by ≥2hrs before sevelamer.
Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, flatulence, constipation; rare: bowel obstruction, perforation.
Tabs 400mg—360; 800mg—180
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D
- In Teens, Young Adults, High BMI May Hurt Cardiovascular Health
- Obesity Paradox Affects Type 2 Diabetes Mortality Rates
- Bi-Directional Association Observed Between Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetes
- Real-World Data Show Reduced Fracture Rates in Teriparatide-Treated Osteoporosis