Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitroglycerin 0.4% (1.5mg/inch); oint; contains lanolin.
Indications for RECTIV:
Treatment of moderate-to-severe pain associated with chronic anal fissure.
Apply using finger covering (eg, plastic-wrap, disposable surgical glove, finger cot). ≥18yrs: 1 inch of ointment intra-anally every 12 hours for up to 3 weeks. Not for oral, ophthalmic, or intravaginal use.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concomitant PDE5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, vardenafil, tadalafil). Severe anemia. Increased intracranial pressure.
Volume depleted. Hypotension. Cardiomyopathy. CHF. Acute MI. Poor cardiac function. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hypotension with PDE5 inhibitors, antihypertensive drugs (eg, calcium channel blockers, beta-adrenergic blockers, other nitrates). Potentiated by aspirin. Antagonizes tissue-type plasminogen activator (t-PA); caution. Anticoagulant effect of heparin may be reduced; monitor APTT. Potentiates ergotamine; possible ergotism. Additive vasodilating effects with alcohol; avoid use.
Headache, dizziness, hypotension (including orthostatic hypotension); rare: flushing, allergic reactions, application site reactions (eg, drug rash, exfoliative dermatitis), methemoglobinemia.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Type 2 Diabetes Associated With Increased Fracture Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Use of FSH in Early Diagnosis of Turner Syndrome
- Surgical Treatment Better Than Medical Therapy in Severely Obese Adolescents With T2D
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome