RECOMBIVAX HB PEDIATRIC/ADOLESCENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis B surface antigen vaccine (recombinant) 5mcg/0.5mL; susp for IM inj; aluminum hydroxide adsorbed; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for RECOMBIVAX HB PEDIATRIC/ADOLESCENT:
Hepatitis B immunization.
Adults and Children:
Use correct formulation; see literature. Give IM into anterolateral thigh for children; deltoid for adults. May give SC if risk of hemorrhage. Patients 0–19yrs of age (three-dose regimen): give 1st dose of 5mcg at elected date and repeat after 1 month (2nd dose) and 6 months after first dose (3rd dose). Or, for patients 11–15yrs of age, may use alternate two-dose regimen: give 1st dose of 10mcg at elected date and repeat after 4–6 months (2nd dose). Patients ≥20yrs of age: give 1st dose of 10mcg at elected date and repeat after 1 month (2nd dose) and 6 months after first dose (3rd dose). Dialysis and pre-dialysis patients: give 1st dose of 40mcg at elected date and repeat after 1 month (2nd dose) and 6 months after first dose (3rd dose); consider booster dose if antibody levels fall to <10mIU/mL. High-risk infants (mother is HBsAg positive or unknown) or if exposed to HBsAg: give hepatitis B immune globulin also (see literature).
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Serious active infection. Severely compromised cardiopulmonary status. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Local reactions, irritability, fatigue, headache, fever, malaise, nausea, diarrhea, anorexia, pharyngitis, upper respiratory infection, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose vials: Ped/Adolescent 5mcg/0.5mL (yellow cap)—1, 10; Adult 10mcg/1mL (green cap)—1, 10; Dialysis 40mcg/1mL (blue cap)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Relationship Between HbA1c and Coronary Artery Disease
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- FDA to Review Gimoti for Diabetic Gastroparesis in Adult Women
- FDA Approves First Mobile App for Use in Preventing Pregnancy
- Hypothyroidism Predicts Atrial Tachyarrhythmia After AF Catheter Ablation
- Treating Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy With Electroacupuncture