Generic Name and Formulations:
Silodosin 4mg, 8mg; caps.
Indications for RAPAFLO:
Benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Take with food once daily. Normal renal function: 8mg. Renal impairment (CrCl 30–50mL/min): 4mg. Difficulty swallowing pills/caps: may open caps and sprinkle contents on a tablespoonful of applesauce; swallow immediately (within 5mins) without chewing and follow with an 8oz glass of water.
Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min). Severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh score ≥10). Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, ritonavir).
Not for treating hypertension. Exclude prostate cancer. Anticipated cataract surgery (may cause intraoperative floppy iris syndrome; advise ophthalmologist). Pregnancy (Cat.B), nursing mothers: not applicable (not indicated for use in women).
See Contraindications. Concomitant other α-blockers, other strong P-glycoprotein inhibitors (eg, cyclosporine): not recommended. May be potentiated by moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, diltiazem, verapamil). Caution with other antihypertensives or PDE-5 inhibitors.
Retrograde ejaculation, dizziness, diarrhea, orthostatic hypotension, headache, nasopharyngitis, nasal congestion.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk
- Drug Copayments Often Cost More Than Prescription Drugs
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Offers Best Outcomes for Pregnant Women With T1D