Generic Name and Formulations:
Bismuth subcitrate potassium 140mg, metronidazole 125mg, tetracycline HCl 125mg; caps.
Indications for PYLERA:
To eradicate H. pylori, in combination with omeprazole, in patients with H. pylori infection and duodenal ulcer disease (active or history of).
Take with 8 oz water. 3 caps 4 times daily after meals and at bedtime for 10 days (give with omeprazole 20mg twice daily with breakfast and dinner for 10 days).
Renal or hepatic impairment. Pediatric patients. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Blood dyscrasias. CNS disease. Discontinue if abnormal neurological signs or skin erythema occurs. Avoid sun, UV light.
Avoid alcohol during and for at least 1 day after therapy. Recent (within 2 weeks) therapy with disulfiram: not recommended. May antagonize oral contraceptives (use non-hormonal backup method). May interfere with bactericidal anti-infectives (eg, penicillin). Tetracycline absorption reduced by antacids containing aluminum, magnesium, or calcium; and by iron, zinc, sodium bicarbonate, and dietary calcium (clinical significance unknown). Fatal renal toxicity with methoxyflurane. Metronidazole levels increased by cimetidine, others that inhibit hepatic microsomal enzymes. Metronidazole levels decreased by phenytoin, phenobarbital, other drugs that induce hepatic microsomal enzymes. Monitor phenytoin, lithium, anticoagulants. May interfere with GI X-rays, liver function tests, others.
GI effects (diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, nausea, gastritis, flatulence), darkening of tongue and/or stool, headache, flu syndrome, taste perversion, asthenia, superinfection (eg, vaginitis), dizziness, rash.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D
- In Teens, Young Adults, High BMI May Hurt Cardiovascular Health
- Obesity Paradox Affects Type 2 Diabetes Mortality Rates
- Bi-Directional Association Observed Between Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetes
- Real-World Data Show Reduced Fracture Rates in Teriparatide-Treated Osteoporosis