Generic Name and Formulations:
Mercaptopurine (6-MP) 50mg; scored tabs.
Indications for PURINETHOL:
Maintenance therapy of acute lymphatic leukemia as part of a combination regimen.
Adults and Children:
1.5–2.5mg/kg per day as a single dose. Concomitant allopurinol: reduce dose of mercaptopurine to 1/3–1/4 of the usual dose. TPMT-deficient, renal or hepatic impairment: reduce dose, see literature.
Prior resistance to mercaptopurine.
Not effective in CNS leukemia, acute myelogenous leukemia, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, the lymphomas (including Hodgkin's disease), or solid tumors. Renal impairment. Monitor liver function tests weekly at start of therapy, then monthly thereafter; discontinue if hepatotoxicity occurs. Pre-existing liver disease (monitor more frequently). Obtain CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, hematocrit, platelets; discontinue if severe bone marrow suppression occurs. Thiopurine-S-methyltransferase (TPMT) deficient: increased risk of myelosuppression, consider genotypic/phenotypic testing. Pregnancy (Cat. D); esp. 1st trimester, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of bone marrow suppression with allopurinol, aminosalicylate derivatives (eg, olsalazine, mesalazine, sulphasalazine), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. Antagonizes warfarin. Caution with concomitant hepatotoxic agents.
Myelosuppression, hyperuricemia/hyperuricosuria, GI upset, intestinal ulceration, rash, hyperpigmentation, alopecia, oligospermia; hepatotoxicity, infection, immunosuppression.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk
- Drug Copayments Often Cost More Than Prescription Drugs
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Offers Best Outcomes for Pregnant Women With T1D