Protamine sulfate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Protamine sulfate 10mg/mL; soln for inj; preservative-free.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for Protamine sulfate:
Treatment of heparin overdose.
Give by slow IV inj over 10 mins. Determine dose by coagulation studies; dose requirement decreases with time elapsed after heparin administration. 1mg neutralizes ≥100units of heparin; max 50mg/dose.
Avoid rapid administration. Fish allergy. Previous exposure to protamine (including insulin). Severe left ventricular dysfunction. Abnormal pulmonary hemodynamics. Previous vasectomy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Incompatible with certain antibiotics (eg, cephalosporins, penicillins).
Hypotension, bradycardia, transient flushing, feeling of warmth, dyspnea, GI upset, lassitude, pulmonary edema, anaphylaxis, cardiovascular collapse, pulmonary vasoconstriction, pulmonary hypertension.
Vial (5mL)—25; 25mL—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure