PROSTIN VR PEDIATRIC Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprostadil 500mcg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains dehydrated alcohol.
Indications for PROSTIN VR PEDIATRIC:
Palliative therapy to maintain ductus arteriosus patency until corrective or palliative surgery can be performed in neonates with congenital heart defects and who depend on patent ductus for survival.
Use lowest effective dose for shortest duration. Give by continuous IV infusion into large vein (preferred) or through an umbilical artery catheter placed at the ductal opening. Initially 0.05–0.1mcg/kg/min. Reduce dose from 0.1 to 0.05 to 0.025 to 0.01mcg/kg/min after therapeutic response is achieved to provide lowest dose that maintains response. If inadequate response to 0.05mcg/kg/min; may increase up to 0.4mcg/kg/min.
Apnea in neonates with congenital heart defects; use where ventilatory assistance is immediately available.
Respiratory distress syndrome: not recommended. Bleeding disorders. Prolonged therapy (>120hrs): monitor for antral hyperplasia and gastric outlet obstruction. Monitor respiratory status, arterial pressure, blood oxygenation, BP, blood pH; decrease infusion rate if arterial pressure falls significantly. Neonates <2kg at birth.
Caution with anticoagulants.
Apnea, fever, flushing, bradycardia, hypotension, tachycardia, seizures, diarrhea, sepsis, cortical proliferation of the long bones (long-term infusion).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Trends in Bisphosphonate Use and Hip Fracture Rates in Denmark
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: An Underdiagnosed Disease Gets a Second Look
- FDA Committee Votes on Oral T1D Treatment Sotagliflozin
- Elevated Plasma Agouti-Related Protein May Be a Marker for Cushing Disease
- Therapeutic Effect of Long-Chain PUFA Omega 3 Supplementation in Obese Children
- Poor Health Outcomes Associated With Fear of Crime, Violence Among College Students of Color
- Safety of PCSK9 Inhibitors After Heart Transplantation Examined