Generic Name and Formulations:
Finasteride 1mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for PROPECIA:
Treatment of male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) in men only.
1mg once daily.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Women. Children. Women of childbearing potential must not handle crushed or broken tablets. Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Hepatic dysfunction. Consider doubling PSA in men >41yrs of age without BPH who are undergoing PSA test.
Type II 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor.
Decreased libido, erectile dysfunction, ejaculation disorder (all rare).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D
- In Teens, Young Adults, High BMI May Hurt Cardiovascular Health
- Obesity Paradox Affects Type 2 Diabetes Mortality Rates
- Bi-Directional Association Observed Between Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetes
- Real-World Data Show Reduced Fracture Rates in Teriparatide-Treated Osteoporosis