Generic Name and Formulations:
Nifedipine 10mg; caps.
Indications for PROCARDIA:
Vasospastic and chronic stable angina.
Initially 10mg three times daily, titrate over 7–14 days (for faster titration: see full labeling). Usual range 10–20mg three times daily; max 30mg/dose and 180mg/day.
Aortic stenosis. Severe obstructive coronary artery disease. Avoid administration within 1–2 weeks post MI or in acute coronary syndrome. Heart failure. GI narrowing/ulcers (tabs). Monitor blood pressure initially and during titration. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Severe hypotension, angina, and CHF possible with beta-blockers. Avoid concomitant phenytoin or CYP3A4 inducers; consider alternative antihypertensive therapy. Avoid concomitant grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, erythromycin, nefazodone, fluoxetine, saquinavir, indinavir, nelfinavir), or cimetidine; consider initiating nifedipine at lowest dose. Potentiates digoxin (monitor). Hypotension possible with fentanyl. GI obstruction possible with H2-blockers, opiates, NSAIDs, laxatives, anticholinergics, levothyroxine, neuromuscular blockers. Monitor oral anticoagulants, quinidine. Taper beta-blockers before initiating nifedipine.
Edema, dizziness, nausea, headache, flushing, weakness, hypotension, fatigue, constipation, palpitations, muscle cramps; rare: increased angina, acute MI, elevated enzymes.
Tabs 30mg, 60mg—100, 300; 90mg—100; Caps—100
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Testosterone Use Remains High Among Men With Coronary Artery Disease
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Comparing Osteoporosis Screening, Treatment Strategies in Postmenopausal Women
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Cerebral Small Vessel Disease More Common in Individuals With T1D vs General Population
- ADA's 2019 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes Focus on Patient-Centered Care
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis May Affect Brain Development in Children With T1D
- Higher Rates of Comorbidities Among Holocaust Survivors
- Population Health Data May Help Identify Patients at Risk for CVD
- Newborn Genomic Sequencing Can Identify Disease Risk