Generic Name and Formulations:
Nifedipine 10mg; caps.
Indications for PROCARDIA:
Vasospastic and chronic stable angina.
Initially 10mg three times daily, titrate over 7–14 days (for faster titration: see full labeling). Usual range 10–20mg three times daily; max 30mg/dose and 180mg/day.
Aortic stenosis. Severe obstructive coronary artery disease. Avoid administration within 1–2 weeks post MI or in acute coronary syndrome. Heart failure. GI narrowing/ulcers (tabs). Monitor blood pressure initially and during titration. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Severe hypotension, angina, and CHF possible with beta-blockers. Avoid concomitant phenytoin or CYP3A4 inducers; consider alternative antihypertensive therapy. Avoid concomitant grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, erythromycin, nefazodone, fluoxetine, saquinavir, indinavir, nelfinavir), or cimetidine; consider initiating nifedipine at lowest dose. Potentiates digoxin (monitor). Hypotension possible with fentanyl. GI obstruction possible with H2-blockers, opiates, NSAIDs, laxatives, anticholinergics, levothyroxine, neuromuscular blockers. Monitor oral anticoagulants, quinidine. Taper beta-blockers before initiating nifedipine.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Edema, dizziness, nausea, headache, flushing, weakness, hypotension, fatigue, constipation, palpitations, muscle cramps; rare: increased angina, acute MI, elevated enzymes.
Tabs 30mg, 60mg—100, 300; 90mg—100; Caps—100
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- Telemedicine Expands Access to Rural, Low-Income, Isolated Communities
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- MiniMed 670G System Improves Glycemic Outcomes in Children With T1D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Low Sperm Count Linked to Poor Metabolic, Cardiovascular, Bone Health
- Estrogen Improves Eating Behavior, Psychopathology in Oligo-Amenorrheic Athletes