Generic Name and Formulations:
Trimethoprim (as HCl) 50mg/5mL; bubble-gum flavored soln; alcohol- and dye-free.
Aytu BioScience, Inc.
Indications for PRIMSOL:
Susceptible acute otitis media (AOM) due to S. pneumoniae or H. influenzae in children. Susceptible initial episodes of uncomplicated UTIs in adults.
UTIs: 100mg twice daily, or 200mg once daily; both for 10 days. Renal dysfunction: CrCl 15–30mL/min: reduce dose by ½; CrCl <15mL/min: not recommended.
<6months: not recommended. ≥6months: AOM: 10mg/kg daily in 2 divided doses every 12 hours for 10 days. Renal dysfunction: CrCl 15–30mL/min: reduce dose by ½; CrCl <15mL/min: not recommended.
Megaloblastic anemia due to folate deficiency.
Avoid large doses or prolonged administration (increased risk of blood disorders). Monitor CBC, discontinue if signs of blood disorders occur. Possible folate deficiency (may give folate concomitantly). Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Folic acid inhibitor.
May potentiate phenytoin. May interfere with some creatinine tests (alkaline picrate reduction).
Rash, GI upset, hematological or renal effects.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Trends in Bisphosphonate Use and Hip Fracture Rates in Denmark
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: An Underdiagnosed Disease Gets a Second Look
- FDA Committee Votes on Oral T1D Treatment Sotagliflozin
- Elevated Plasma Agouti-Related Protein May Be a Marker for Cushing Disease
- Therapeutic Effect of Long-Chain PUFA Omega 3 Supplementation in Obese Children
- Poor Health Outcomes Associated With Fear of Crime, Violence Among College Students of Color
- Safety of PCSK9 Inhibitors After Heart Transplantation Examined