Prilocaine HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prilocaine HCl 40mg/mL; soln for inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prilocaine HCl Injection:
Local anesthesia in dentistry by nerve block or infiltration techniques.
Maxillary infiltration: initially 1–2mL; max recommended dose within a 2-hour period: <70kg: 8mg/kg; ≥70kg: 600mg. Elderly, debilitated, acutely ill: reduce dose.
<10yrs: use Clarks rule to calculate dose.
Congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia.
Have resuscitative equipment, oxygen, and standard protocol for management of malignant hyperthermia available. G6PD deficiency. Severe shock. Heart block. Hepatic disease. Impaired cardiovascular function. Head and neck block. Monitor cardiovascular and respiratory vital signs. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Local anesthetic (amide-type).
Risk of methemoglobinemia with sulfonamides, acetaminophen, acetanilid, aniline dyes, benzocaine, chloroquine, dapsone, naphthalene, nitrates and nitrites, nitrofurantoin, nitroglycerin, nitroprusside, pamaquine, para-aminosalicylic acid, phenacetin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine.
Swelling and persistent paresthesia of lips, oral tissue; CNS effects (eg, excitation, depression, restlessness, anxiety, dizziness, tremors), cardiovascular effects (eg, bradycardia, hypotension, cardiovascular collapse), allergic-type reactions, neurologic effects, increased creatinine phosphokinase.
Formerly known under the brand name Citanest Plain Dental.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Link Between Gestational Diabetes and Risk for CVD and Diabetes in Hispanic/Latina Population
- Clinical Characteristics Altering Risks and Benefits of Sulfonylureas and Thiazolidinedione Therapy in T2D
- 6 Factors Related to Inclusion in Health Care Workplace Identified
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D