Generic Name and Formulations:
Ziconotide acetate 25mcg/mL, 100mcg/mL; soln for intrathecal infusion; preservative-free.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
Indications for PRIALT:
Management of severe chronic pain in patients for whom intrathecal therapy is warranted and who are intolerant of or refractory to other treatment (eg, systemic analgesics, adjunctive therapies, intrathecal morphine).
Give by intrathecal infusion using appropriate microinfusion device and procedures. Individualize; see literature. Initial: up to 2.4mcg/day (0.1microgram/hr); titrate in increments of up to 2.4mcg/day (0.1mcg/hr) at intervals of up to 2–3 times per week; max 19.2mcg/day (0.8mcg/hr) by day 21.
History of psychosis. Inj site infections. Uncontrolled bleeding diathesis. Spinal canal obstruction.
Neuropsychiatric adverse reactions.
Risk of severe psychiatric symptoms and neurological impairment. Monitor for signs/symptoms of meningitis and other infections. Discontinue if infection, cognitive impairment, hallucinations, mood changes, or impaired consciousness occur. Reduce dose or discontinue if myasthenias, myalgia, or persistent increases in serum creatine kinase occur. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Analgesic (non-opioid N-type calcium channel blocker).
Concomitant intrathecal opiates: not recommended. CNS effects potentiated by other CNS depressants, antiepileptics, neuroleptics, diuretics; discontinue ziconotide if occurs.
Dizziness, GI upset, fever, headache, somnolence, nystagmus, asthenia, ataxia, abnormal vision, dysesthesia, parasthesia, urinary retention, psychiatric effects (eg, hallucinations, mania), cognitive/memory impairment (eg, confusion, aphasia, stupor), worsening depression/suicidal ideation.
Soln single-use vial; 25mcg/mL (20mL)—1; 100mcg/mL (1mL, 5mL)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- Comparative Assessment of Diabetes Outcomes With Physician, NP, PA Providers
- Normalized HbA1c Levels Facilitate Improved Neuropathy Outcomes in T2D
- Parental Perception of Child Weight Status Predicted by Child BMI z Scores
- Fear Impacts Quality of Life for Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes
- Five-Year Efficacy Data Announced for Liletta Intrauterine System
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information