Generic Name and Formulations:
Dinoprostone 0.5mg/3g; endocervical gel.
Indications for PREPIDIL:
Ripening an unfavorable cervix in pregnant women at or near term.
See full labeling.
Where oxytocics or prolonged uterine contractions are inappropriate, including: history of cesarean section, major uterine surgery, presence of cephalopelvic disproportion, difficult labor, traumatic delivery, 6 or more previous term pregnancies, nonvertex presentation, hyperactive or hypertonic uterine patterns, fetal distress where delivery is not imminent. Ruptured membranes. Placenta previa or unexplained vaginal bleeding. When vaginal delivery is not indicated. Concomitant oxytocics.
For hospital use only when immediate intensive care and acute surgical facilities can be provided. Avoid contact with skin. Monitor uterine activity, fetal status, cervix. History of/or asthma. Glaucoma or increased intraocular pressure. If hypersensitivity reaction is suspected, remove Prepidil gel if possible. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Potentiates oxytocics. Oxytocin: a dosing interval of 6–12hrs is needed, if used following Prepidil administration.
Maternal: Uterine rupture, uterine contraction abnormality, GI upset, back pain, warm feeling in vagina, fever, premature rupture of membranes. Fetal: Heart rate abnormality, fetal depression, fetal acidosis. Amnionitis and intrauterine fetal sepsis associated with extra-intrauterine administration.
Prefilled-syringe applicator (w. catheters)—5
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Nivolumab Associated With Thyroiditis in Patients With Cancer
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Gender-Related Association Between Physical Activity, Psychological Status in T2D
- Adverse Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Outcomes in PCOS
- HbA1c Variability Predicts All-Cause Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes
- Choroidal Thickness Changes in Patients With Untreated Diabetes
- Pre-Pregnancy Fitness Lowers Gestational Diabetes Risk