Generic Name and Formulations:
Clopidogrel (as bisulfate) 75mg, 300mg; tabs.
Indications for PLAVIX:
To reduce the rate of MI and stroke in patients with: non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome (unstable angina/non-ST-elevation MI) or acute ST-elevation MI; history of recent MI, recent stroke, or established peripheral arterial disease; see full labeling.
Acute coronary syndrome (give with aspirin): initially give one 300mg loading dose, then continue at 75mg once daily. Recent MI, recent stroke, or established peripheral arterial disease: 75mg once daily without a loading dose.
Active pathologic bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage).
CYP2C19 poor metabolizers: diminished effectiveness in those who are homozygous for nonfunctional alleles of the CYP2C19 gene. Perform testing for the CYP2C19 genotype before starting therapy; consider alternative treatment if identified. Increased risk of bleeding. Premature discontinuation increases risk of cardiovascular events; if temporarily discontinued (eg, to treat bleeding or surgery; if possible, interrupt therapy for 5 days before such surgery); restart as soon as possible. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant CYP2C19 inhibitors (eg, omeprazole, esomeprazole). Caution with concomitant other drugs that increase risk of bleeding (eg, NSAIDs, warfarin, SSRI, SNRI). Avoid concomitant repaglinide; if unavoidable, initiate repaglinide at 0.5mg before each meal; max 4mg/day; monitor glucose frequently.
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (thienopyridine).
Bleeding (may be fatal), epistaxis, hematuria, bruising, ulcers, rash; hypersensitivity reactions, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
Tabs 75mg—30, 90, 100, 500; 300mg—30, 100
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure
- Greater Bone Formation With Teriparatide vs Zoledronic Acid in Osteoporosis