Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxytocin 10Units/mL; IV or IM inj.
Indications for PITOCIN:
Initiation or improvement of uterine contractions in vaginal delivery. Adjunct in abortion. Control of postpartum bleeding.
Induction of labor: individualize. Initially 0.5–1milliunit/minute (see literature); adjust by 1–2 milliunits/minute at 30–60 minute intervals. Usual max at term: 9–10 milliunits/minute. Bleeding: IV, see literature. IM: 10Units after delivery of placenta. Abortion: see literature.
In anteparum use: Cephalopelvic disproportion. Unfavorable fetal position. When surgical intervention necessary. Fetal distress if labor is not imminent. Unsatisfactory progress in presence of adequate uterine activity. Hyperactive or hypertonic uterus. Invasive cervical carcinoma, active herpes genitalis, total placenta previa, vasa previa, cord presentation or prolapse or other cases where vaginal delivery is contraindicated or if predisposition for uterine rupture exists.
Use only in presence of qualified personnel. Monitor intrauterine pressure, fetal heart rate, maternal blood pressure.
Avoid use within 4 hours of prophylactic vasoconstriction with caudal block anesthesia. Avoid cyclopropane anesthetics.
Maternal: anaphylaxis, postpartum or subarachnoid hemorrhage, arrhythmias, fatal afibrinogenemia, nausea, vomiting, premature ventricular contraction, pelvic hematoma, water intoxication, hypersensitivity resulting in uterine hypertonicity, spasm, tetany, or rupture. Fetal: bradycardia, arrhythmias, CNS damage, seizure, low Apgar scores, jaundice, retinal hemorrhage, death.
Single-dose vial (1mL)—25
Multi-dose vial (10mL)—1, 25
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure