Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxycycline hyclate 20mg; tabs.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for PERIOSTAT:
As an adjunct to scaling and root planing to promote attachment level gain and to reduce pocket depth in patients with adult periodontitis.
Take on an empty stomach with adequate amount of fluid. 20mg twice daily (in AM and PM). May give up to 9 months.
Nursing mothers. Infants. Children.
History of or active oral candidiasis. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Avoid sun and UV light. Pregnancy (Cat.D): not recommended.
Avoid concomitant penicillins, methoxyflurane. Antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, urinary alkalinizers reduce absorption. Carbamazepine, barbiturates, phenytoin may decrease effectiveness. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants. Oral contraceptives may be less effective.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias; rare: hepatotoxicity.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk