Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentoxifylline 400mg; ext-rel tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Pentoxifylline:
400mg three times daily with meals. Continue for at least 8 weeks. Digestive or CNS effects: lower dosage to 400mg twice daily; discontinue if side effects persist. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): 400mg once daily.
Recent cerebral or retinal hemorrhage. Methylxanthines intolerance (eg, caffeine, theophylline, theobromine).
Discontinue if anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reaction occurs. Monitor for bleeding including hematocrit, hemoglobin in patients with hemorrhagic risk factors (eg, recent surgery, peptic ulcer, cerebral and/or retinal bleeding). Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hemorrheologic agent (xanthine).
See Contraindications. May potentiate antihypertensives; monitor BP. Concomitant theophylline-containing drugs; monitor closely and adjust dose. Bleeding with concomitant NSAIDs, anticoagulants, or platelet aggregation inhibitors. Concomitant warfarin; monitor PT frequently. May be potentiated by strong CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, ciprofloxacin, fluvoxamine), cimetidine.
GI upset, nausea, dyspepsia, flushing, agitation, headache, dizziness, insomnia, blurred vision.
Formerly known under the brand name Trental.
Renal (primarily), fecal.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Link Between Gestational Diabetes and Risk for CVD and Diabetes in Hispanic/Latina Population
- Clinical Characteristics Altering Risks and Benefits of Sulfonylureas and Thiazolidinedione Therapy in T2D
- 6 Factors Related to Inclusion in Health Care Workplace Identified
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D