The transition from pediatric to adult care for type 1 diabetes should be a gradual process, with a plan to make the change when the patient is ready, not at a pre-determined time.
The lifestyle physical activity program included weight education, control, self-monitoring, behavioral change techniques, and maintenance of behavior change.
ISPAD recommends adjustments for fluid management regarding rehydration rates in children and adolescents with diabetes ketoacidosis.
Researchers assessed the effect of formula supplementation vs breastfeeding on the gut microbiome and risk of infant overweight.
Subcutaneous burosumab decreases mean Thacher rickets severity total score from dosing every two weeks or every four weeks.
Routine screening for neonatal hypoglycemia after pregnancies complicated by gestational diabetes (GD) reveals high incidence of both mild and severe hypoglycemia for both diet-controlled and insulin-treated GD and across the full range of birth weight centiles.
Further clinical trials are needed to explore the potential beneficial effect of vitamin D supplementation, via fortified foods and/or dietary supplements, on insulin resistance, and possibly on weight management.
Parents and healthcare workers should carefully consider the risk for obesity in infants born to women with diabetes, especially infants born large for gestational age, and should initiate preventive measures where possible.
Early treatment of cardiovascular disease risk factors such as dyslipidemia and hypertension will have long-term benefits with low risk and cost and should be more widely used in pediatric type 1 diabetes care.
Findings demonstrated a high incidence of sodium alterations in children following transsphenoidal surgery, with a 38% combined incidence of diabetes insipidus and syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion.
Only approximately half of pediatric patients with a blood pressure reading ≥95th percentile would be correctly classified based on their initial blood pressure reading.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ADA Releases Updated Guidelines for Managing Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes
- Relationship Between HbA1c and Coronary Artery Disease
- The Obesity Paradox in Diabetes: Conceptual and Clinical Approaches
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- FDA to Review Gimoti for Diabetic Gastroparesis in Adult Women
- FDA Approves First Mobile App for Use in Preventing Pregnancy
- Hypothyroidism Predicts Atrial Tachyarrhythmia After AF Catheter Ablation
- Treating Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy With Electroacupuncture