Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxandrolone 2.5mg+, 10mg; tabs (+scored).
Indications for OXANDRIN:
As an adjunct to promote weight gain after extensive surgery, chronic infections, severe trauma, and without definite cause, to offset protein catabolism associated with prolonged corticosteroid administration, and for relief of osteoporotic bone pain.
Individualize. 2.5–20mg daily given in 2–4 divided doses. Treat for 2–4 weeks; may repeat intermittently as needed. Elderly: 5mg twice daily.
≤0.1mg/kg/day; may repeat intermittently as needed.
Breast (women with hypercalcemia, men) or prostate carcinoma. Nephrosis. Hypercalemia. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Risk of peliosis hepatis, liver cell tumors, blood lipid changes associated with atherosclerosis. Discontinue if cholestatic hepatitis, jaundice, abnormal liver function tests, or hypercalcemia occurs. Cardiovascular disease. COPD. Edematous conditions. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Monitor hepatic function, serum lipids, Hgb/Hct, and bone age (children) periodically. Monitor for signs of virilization in women; discontinue if mild virilism occurs to prevent irreversible condition. Elderly. Young children. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate warfarin (monitor INR/PT), oral hypoglycemics. Increased risk of edema with ACTH, corticosteroids. May suppress clotting factors II, V, VII and X. May decrease thyroxine-binding globulin and radioactive iodine uptake.
Peliosis hepatis, premature epiphyseal closure in children, edema, dyslipidemia, hepatic carcinoma, prostatic hypertrophy or carcinoma, gynecomastia, priapism, oligospermia, jaundice, hirsutism, virilization, menstrual irregularities, male pattern baldness, acne, polycythemia, excitation, depression, altered libido, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, decreased glucose tolerance.
Tabs 2.5mg—100; 10mg—60
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk